Thursday, November 30, 2006

Turns out feminism *isn't* part of my DNA

I've told many of you that when I was younger that my mother was convinced I was a lesbian (mostly due to my tendency to quasi-feminist/ anti-white man rants). Remarkably, she even told me recently that if a woman wants to "get a man" she should learn to be less dominating and more giving in any relationship, otherwise it might not work. I agree with this statement partially, I think that for any relationship to work in the long term requires both parites to compromise in some way( hopefully not in their beliefs, jobs, or personalities... unless according to my mom that they are "too dominating"), and give in to their relationship. Ok, so I am an idealists when it comes to relationships. I supose it explains in a way, why I am still single.

Ah singlehood. It'd great now bc it seems to many of my friends are, so I am no longer dumped by friends to spend time with their boyfriends! :)
Anyways, an even bigger difference between myself and my mother is how I react, and she reacted to inappropriate behaviour.

Exhibit A:
When she was my age a man in her workplace snaped her bra and said "Oh! You are wearing a bra today!" In this situation, she didn't know what to say.

What I would have done:
a. Punched him in the face
b. Punched him in the nuts
c. Laughed and then slap him in the face with a harassement suit
d. Probably all or one of the above.

I tend to be violent and/or agressive in face of sexual harassement. But I do try to recognise the difference between a joke and crossing the line. If a close male friend snaped my bra, I might laugh... but otherwise I would view it as an offensive act that necesisated a strong response.

.... Is that so wrong?
I don't think so.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

I might punch him in the gut. But that's my stock response. I was recently told by one of my friends that he thinks I bruised his xyphoid process. Complete bullshit, but amusing as all he'd done was slag me off.

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

3:23 AM  
Blogger Alykhan Velshi said...

Remind me never to snap your bikini again... (But you need to provoking and poking me with your Pillsbury Doughboy schtick).

Or, you can avoid this proto-feminist babble and accept that you if you're going to give, you need to be able to take.

Formal equality is very different than functional equality. I think you personally prefer the latter, but, who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Vim Vimma said...

what the...?! lol

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home