Sunday, November 05, 2006

confessions of a pop culture whore

Being unemployed has it perks. I read the newspaper as long as I want too. I can watch all the TV shows that I want, and keep track off all my fave blogs. That is besides work periodically, go to the gym and apply for other jobs.

TV shows I actually watch with remarkable regularity:

Sundays:

8pm - Amazing Race : my parents are huge fans of this show. they love travel, and the show goes to more 'adventurous' places that my otherwise resort bred parents wouldn't dare dream of going. and last canada day, we even ran into last season's winners (the hippies for anyone who knows what i am talking about!)

9pm - Desperate Housewives : I don't know what got me into it this season... but I just loove the drama.

Mondays:

Although I have carpentry class, TVR records the following shows which i watch either that night, or later on in the week.

9pm - Dexter: It plays on The Movie Network here in Canada and on Showtime in the States. Michael C.Hall has been one of my fave actors since he was in Six Feet Under... Dexter makes me feel normal.

10pm - Project Runway: This show has inpired me to learn how to sew. The cattyness between designers is kind of silly, and if any one hasn't noticed Heidi Klum recites the same 3 lines every show. Tim Gunn is the real gem here. I hope this show will "carry on" for many more seasons of funny fiery fashion.

Tuesdays/Wednesdays:

I forget if House or Lost is on Tues or Wed, and I know they have a very loyal following, but I never got into Lost, and House I watch occassionally if I am knitting and sitting with my parents. (Yes, I actually knit!)

Oh! But I have caught 30 Rock on occassion and it is *really* good, but it is going to be harder to follow once it moves too...

Thursdays:
I am a total TV WHORE on Thursdays.

8 pm - Ugly Betty : America Ferrara is my hero. Her character looked like me when I was 14 (except I was skinny like the Amanda character... now i am closer to Betty's roundness). It's cheesy TV that makes you feel the good guy will always win, and it's executive producer is the uber hot Salma Hayek, with Vanessa Williams playing a woman clinging onto her youth and attempting to scheam her way into being editor-in-chief of fictional "Mode" magasine. And beneath the cutesy veneer there seems to be a more serious commentary being played out by the funny sterotypes.

9 pm - Grey's Anatomy: I don't know *why* but yes, I love Grey's. It's highly addictive and I hate it miss an episode. I wonder if it is like our generation's ER with less blood?

10pm - Six Degrees: Ok, so this isn't the best show *ever* but I have somehow managed to watch all of the episodes so far.

Obviously, I don't go out on Thursdays (ps. how sad is taht?? hahaha.)

That makes 7 hours of TV a week!! shitters that is a lot!! Then again, I most definitely waste more time on the internet per week. Now, how do I manage that?

MSN is more addictive that ever... no one seems to call anyone else anymore. I kind of find sitting at my computer and typing (when it isn't work) relaxing... I'm trying to cut down, but is it really all that bad?

And ofcourse, I love to read all of your blogs! It seems like we have all gotten less frequent in our blogging, but that is acceptable - it IS November. However that happenned! haha.

Other blogs I read to pass the time:

www.pinkisthenewblog.com
www.facebook.com
www.gofugyourself.com
www.perezhilton.com
www.pajiba.com
www.overheardinnewyork.com
www.virginitymonologues.blogspot.com (I don't know why! someone sent it to me a looong time ago... well, when she was still a virgin and it is too funny to watch her spiral into someone else)
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/ (thanks Shrad!)
and there is always www.youtube.com for fun (ie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV3ncKB8a4s, thanks to Claire)


Real high brow, eh?

And then there are my work related sites that I check like a mad woman like (www.chin.gc.ca , www.akimbo.biz , www.workinculture.com , and ofcourse www.rom.on.ca , www.ago.net etc...)


Perhaps this shows that I should just get off my lazy ass and DO something... but acording to my research (ie reading my fave column in the Globe and Mail Style section of last weekend), culture IS everything. Even if it is cyclical pop culture. (sadly Leah McLaren's article from October 28th which ended with the question "What would Trent Reznor do?" is unavaliable online without registration booooo. But this shows even *more* what me and the Globe's version of Carrie Bradshaw and I have in common, we both once lusted after Trent Reznor. Ok, well I still do at times... so maybe that nullifies any comparison, plus I don't even have blond hair, or a country house so that ends it.)

Even if I don't end up with a cool job and merely follow my brother's advice to "marry rich!", then I will be the girl with a water cooler type banter prepared for every soiree. And if they don't dig "Grey's Anatomy" then I will have something prepared to say from The New York Times' Style, Travel or Entertainment section, just like Emily Gilmore says to do. And yes, I actually read the Sunday New York Times. And the Globe. And the Toronto Star. I probably am doing as much reading as I did in university.

Now I am going to go read Alexandre McCall Smith's latest, The Right Attitude to Rain, before I give my poor little head a rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home