Friday, September 01, 2006

If it makes me happy... then why do I have to give it up to quickly?

I got a call from my landlord today.
Initially, she had said that I had till September 15th to tell her if I wanted to stay... And to me, this was perfectly reasonable, because on top of applying to jobs in Toronto, I was also looking to stay in Ottawa if there was a suitable position at the gallery or otherwise. And in that case I would stay in my amazing condo. She asked me today (september 1st) to tell her if I intend to stay longer because she has someone who is willing to sign a 6 month lease.
I'll make it clear, I am in renter's heaven. I love this condo. I love the view, I love the layout, I love the price, I love that there only seems to be hot people living in the condo complex.
800 square feet which make my little piece of heaven.
I don't feel like I could ever go back to shitty apartments. Or shitty landlords. Or shitty views.
But somehow I think I will...
On October 1st it is planned that I move back home, into my parent's house. On October 1st I will give up my little piece of heaven to live with 2 parents who were empty nesters for a month. I'm slightly anxious and I wonder how they will react. Will they give me space? Will they be up in my face? Will they ask me to 'please move out so we can have fun'?
Actually, I think it will be fine. Living at home I'll be saving money faster than living in a 1200 + a month rent condo but the sacrifices will be numerous too.
I live across the street from Loeb's (think Ottawa's version of A&P with a dash of food basics flare), down the street from bars and clubs and restaurants and shops. I have a view of the market and I check the time by looking at the Peace Tower. I am a 5 min walk from the Rideau Centre, where most buses leave from, 15 min walk from the NGC (work), and 3 min walk away from Blockbuster (I don't have internet where I am so I make most nights Blockbuster nights when I don't feel like going out).
At home, I will be confined to a car/bus for transportation - a car which I don't have (or have money for... hell, who am I kidding I still need to get my full licence) - buses are reasonable but are a 10 min walk away from my house. Oh, and I don't even have a bike in Toronto because mine was stolen a year ago and I still haven't gotten a new one. (I just started renting one here at 90$ for 2 weeks... which I have to say is absolutely reasonable - Ottawa is graced with beautiful biking trails and everyone here seems to bike everywehre!)
Booo.

I'm really going to miss this place.
I've had the good fortune to make amazing friends and have one of the best summers of the past couple of years.

Hopefully my good fortune will continue when I move home - oh, and that I'll have a job!

PS
Something I'd added to my short list of life goals: buying a beautiful condo!

3 Comments:

Blogger Vim Vimma said...

Dudette, I can so picture where you live. Ugh, why doesn't Ottawa love me?! I should be there now instead of crummy old Toronto. I've stopped by Loeb a few times in the middle of the night. Street name, please? Is it the one at a corner or the one off Rideau? How are my O-town prostitutes on King Edward doooooin? ;)

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should come back so we can do a "dirty tour of ottawa" and check out the 'ladies of the night' as my mom used to call them! hahaha
-ac.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Vim Vimma said...

I doubt I'll be back before Oct 1st :( If I get the chance though, you know I don't need to be asked twice to come visit my fav city :P

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home