Thursday, August 24, 2006

Canada still one step ahead..

Somehow I am shocked that it's taken so long to get Plan B avaliable over the counter in the US: http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/08/24/morning.after.pill.ap/index.html

And I am saddenned about the age restriction that is imposed on buyers. I don't see how that helps with teen pregnancies, or who this is then supposed to be aimed at - only kids out of high school once they've given up on practicing abstinence?

In Canada (or atleast Ontario), it's been avaliable above the counter, no ID required since 2002. In walk-in clinics and select drug stores. It's affordable (at about 30$ a pop) and the files are kept secret and never given to your health care professional.

I don't see why pro-lifers would be against Plan B - it can not terminate a pregnancy but it helps stop fertilisation from happenning and stops the egg from attaching itself to the endometrium wall. Where is the murder in that? If pro-lifers wish to go evangelica on our ass then they could say that it is playing God and deciding if a pregnancy goes forward or not, but that is bollocks.
Plan B has probably saved many girls in the case of condoms breaking, men saying they will "pull out" but don't and just mistakes... I don't see how it is a negative thing at all. Is the age restriction is just a way of pretending that minors don't have sex? I don't know...

I am a big supporter of Plan B. I hate to say that I am a big supporter of abortion - although I am pro-choice. I hope never to have to be in a situation where I might have to get an abortion, but Plan B is such an easier decision to take.

I still can't believe that the US is so behind Canada on this one...
Shame on them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vim Vimma said...

Bushy boy....oh Bushy boy *shakes head in disappointment

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home