Saturday, January 20, 2007

i'm comfortable. maybe a little too much so. but'm ok with that.

Before doing time in Kingston, I thought one of the greatest shames for a university graduate was to move back home after undergrad.

Well here I am. And I'm in no rush to leave.

Do I feel shame? Nope.

Instead I feel extremely practical. And happy. Beyond the financial benefits, I'm living in a great house, with two people who actually care about me (enough to wash their own dishes, not make noise after a certain hour, and the best of all - to do most of my laundry). There is nothing like living with someone who will pick you up from the subway at 10:30 pm, after work, and another someone who makes romantic candle-lit dinners on an almost-daily basis.

This ideal living situation won't last forever. Maybe I'll get a boyfriend and we will all start bickering again, maybe they will get sick of me or maybe I'll get a new job and enough money to move past my eternal adolescent state of mind.

Not that I mind this feeling of being perpetually a teenager. It's a great way to deny that I'm in my 20s and should start to assume responsibility about my future (whatever that is).

Ok maybe I should work on that last part. I'm 22 and I am in a somewhat dead-end job. This wasn't a part of my master plan. Accordint to 14 year old me, I should have been in med school by now, not a girl with a degree in Art History, living with her parents.

Wait! There it was, that first tingling of shame.

And then gone again as fast as it came.

As a Gen XYVZ-er (whatever they call us), I think I'm am part of a trend, that of graduates living at home after university... and not feeling guilty about it. At all, how could we even try to live well in a city with ridiculous rent and low paying entry level jobs?
A harsh reality that is so much easier to deal with when you can watch 24 on a big LSD screen with Mom and Dad.

Hmm... maybe that is only my reality... so perhaps I should feel a little bit guilty to live in such rich surroundings?

(Then again, that guilt could just be originating from the repressed Catholic in me. So instead I will just count myself lucky)

2 Comments:

Blogger Vim Vimma said...

Ugh, he/she has targeted you as well *rolls eyes* Hey, living home isn't that bad. It never really is bad for most people but it's VERY easy to complain about it. That's too bad. Besides being a free-loader (which was my God given right, damn it!), I actually do stuff around the house and help out. When I'm around I take care of the things that my rents either don't know how to do or don't bother learning to. So, it's a give and take situation. I'm not saying I'm not desperate to get out and have my own accomodation but I'll miss home. I'll miss restrictions because they've helped me to be who I am. You're young Berryhead, don't forget that (I sometimes do). Remember 3 years ago, who you were...and just think, what you could be in 3 years! So much changes in so little time. Grab a paddle and keep rowing! (ya...I just read Cat's blog, hence the inspiration for that line!)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Vim Vimma said...

Ugh, if I remember correctly...you're on your way to Ottawa right now. I envy you!

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home