Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Rejected/Accepted

With less than a month to go, and more than half a dozen cvs/cover letter sent... I am bracing myself for a slew of negative responses. Or, even worse, no response at all.

Applying for a job is a lot like a first date, you put your best foot forward, present yourself in a way that you think is irresistible only to get a "I'll call you, don't call me" response in both cases.

As Jerry Seinfeld put it, "A first date is like a job interview, except there is a chance that you'll be naked at the end of it".

And applying for a job can be just as tiring as going on a lot of bad dates (which are all too familiar territory). Except that I am the one more likely to reject possible candidates when I am dating. Only the most persistent actually get to the first date stage, and then it quickly tapers off of who will get to a second, third date.. etc...
I guess what I mostly don't like about applying for jobs is how powerless I am.
I didn't have this problem with my frist jobs - soccer ref, lifeguard at various places, first aid instructor, my intern position last summer... the positions were all guarenteed and I knew people who knew people so I didn't have to interview for them either.
It was more stressful trying to get volunteer positions at Queen's.

So this game of applying and waiting is all new to me!

Let's hope luck is on my side like it was this summer :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home