Tuesday, May 23, 2006

graduation.

So, I am torn as to whether I should attend my graduation or not.

Right now, I don't have any desire too at all. And in general I am not one to see the importance in mere ceremony. Much like how I don't see the point in having a wedding, but having a successful long term relationship/marriage. What I have achieved over the past 4 years and where I have failed have marked many rites of passage. I don't know what I will get out of the Queen's chaplin hooding me during a ridiculously long ceremony on June 2nd.
The bigger dilema for me is that my brother's high school graduation is on the same day. He's been at TFS for 12 years now, he's got a chance for a sports scholarship etc... so overall his day seems more significant. For me, him leaving TFS will also mark the end of TFS for me. And he's off to Queen's next year, so I will be back there to visit without a doubt. June 2nd marks not only the end of undergrad, but also the end of my connection with my old highschool. Yes, this might seem like I am suffering from acute nostalgia... but it would be naive to say that TFS has not played a big role in my life and that, mostly due to my brother, I have remain connected to many of the people there for the past 4 years. And thanks to him, I will remain connected to the Queen's bubble, once he goes there in September.

If I go to my graduation I'll be taking my mom away from his. She claims she doesn't really care either way, and that I have a right to my own graduation - but somehow without my Dad and brother there it seems like a waste to go at all.

But, what about regret?
Oh, yeah. I don't do that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vim Vimma said...

Ugh that sucks, booboo. I agree with you, I was sooooo much more hyped over the TFS grad than I am over UofT's even though it's my dream school. Somehow the process is what I'll remember and cherish and not the actual day, after 4 years, to just walk across a stage. It seems so insignificant compared the actual UofT experience where you're just a number,blending into your surroundings. I think you should go to your grad. There will always be the TFS video (gosh, we love those!) and well, both you and your bro deserve to savour your individual "moments of fame".

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but canadian schools aren't allowed to give sports scholarships...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

rob said his convocation felt like a circus. like you should be riding in on a unicycle.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home